What is a Dependent?
Dependent means a covered employee's:
2. Common law
blood related child, step-child, legally adopted child or child placed with the
employee for adoption, foster child, child for which the
legal guardianship, children of qualifying individual or children of a common
law spouse whose age is less than the limiting age.
limiting age for each dependent child is the end of the month he or she
attains the age of 26 years. Your child is covered to the limiting age
regardless if the child is:
b. A tax
c. A student;
with or receives financial support from you; or
for other coverage through employment.
4. A covered employee's
child whose age is less than the limiting age and is entitled to coverage
under the provisions of this Plan because of a
medical child support order;
as long as the employee's covered dependent, who is the parent of
the grandchild, is not yet age 26.
Individual – Both Same and Opposite Sex
What is a Qualifying Life Event?
A Qualifying Life Event is an event defined by the Internal Revenue Service in Section 125 that allows you to change your election. QLEs include:
- Loss of health coverage under another employer plan (including the exhaustion of COBRA coverage)
- Change in your legal marital status (i.e., marriage, legal separation or divorce)
- Acquiring a dependent through birth, adoption, or becoming the legal guardian
- Death of spouse or child
- Dependent satisfies or ceases to satisfy dependent eligibility requirements
- Change in employment status (for employee, spouse, or employee’s dependent) that affects eligibility for
health insurance benefits (spouse obtains coverage or loses coverage)
- Entitlement or loss of Medicare or Medicaid
I have a Qualifying Life Event. What do I do now?