I-G - Courses Designated for Grades 9-12 Offered to Middle School Students
Course Credit and Assurance of TEKS Mastery:
- Districts which offer courses designated for grades nine through twelve in the middle school grades shall verify that students who take these courses have satisfactorily completed the prerequisite middle school TEKS.
- A course must be considered completed and credit must be awarded if the student has demonstrated proficiency by meeting course requirements, regardless of the time the student has received instruction in the course or the grade in which proficiency was attained.
Transcript, Grades and GPA:
- A district may not offer a high school course at the middle school level as a pass/fail grade if the course is offered for high school graduation credit.
Students taking high school courses at the middle school level are treated as if they are enrolled in grades 9-12. If the course is repeated, both grades will be recorded on the transcript in determining a student’s high school grade point average (GPA).
During the spring middle school registration, information regarding grades, credit, and GPA calculations for high school courses taken at the middle school level will be provided to staff, parents, and students.
At the beginning of the school year, parents/guardians of students enrolled in a high school course at the middle school level will sign an “Agreement of Understanding.” This agreement will delineate how grades, credit, and calculations for GPA will be determined for the course. A form is attached for this purpose.
At the time of spring high school registration, students enrolled in a high school course at the middle school level will be informed of their options (described below) regarding grades, credit, and calculations for GPA. Any additional documentation for courses planned for repetition in 9th grade will be obtained at that time. A form is attached for this purpose.
High School Courses Offered at the Middle School Level (as of spring, 2006):
- Algebra I (in 8th grade)
- Spanish I (in 8th grade)
- PreAP Spanish I and II (for native speakers only, in 7th grade)
- AP Spanish III and IV (for native speakers only, in 8th grade)
- PreAP Geometry (NOT on choice sheets: only for students transferring in with Alg. I credit, or for highly advanced math students.)
- Health/Foundations of Personal Fitness
- Video Technology