- Northwest Elementary School
- Principal's Blog
Northwest Elementary Update: Welcome BackPosted by Marcial Guajardo on 8/17/2018 12:00:00 PM
Welcome back Northwest Elementary parents and families! I hope your son/daughter had a WONDERFUL first day back yesterday.
Today’s email will be short by design until next week when I can upload all of our new families into my weekly email. For now I felt it necessary to say you all are doing WONDERFUL job at getting your child to school before 7:35. You are the best! As a reminder, doors open for students at 7:05 and students must be in their seats no later than 7:35 A.M. If you are running late, please contact our office at 512-594-4400 and let us know when we can expect your child. Your child’s attendance is incredibly important!
Back to School Dance
- When: Friday, August 24 from 6-8 p.m.
We are looking for parent support during this time so please email our counselor, Stephanie Johnson, at Stephanie.Johnson@pfisd.net , if you are able to help.
Please note that we will begin calling parents at 7:45 and plan on having all students picked up no later than 8 p.m.
Hope to see you there!
Library open June 19, 21Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 6/18/2018
Don’t forget that we will have our library open tomorrow and Thursday from 5-7 p.m. here at Northwest. Ms. Wilkinson will be available to help students check out books, take AR tests and read with them!
See you tomorrow!
Summer library hoursPosted by Marcial Guajardo on 6/13/2018
We had our first library summer hours last night and had several parents and students come! Thank you! Big thanks to Ms. Wilkinson for her effort to arrange this time for our students.
Our next library hour time will be this Thursday, June 14 from 5-7 p.m. in the NES library. Students and parents may come to check out books, read with staff members, and take AR tests! Please spread the word!
Northwest Elementary Update: June 4-6Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 6/4/2018 9:00:00 AM
Good afternoon Northwest Elementary School parents and families!
We’ve got about two and a half days left in the 2017-2018 school year and both students and staff are looking forward to the excitement of summer. As we finish up the year, I want to take the time to thank you for your cooperation and support. I look forward to continuing to work with all of you into the 2018-19 school year and will keep looking for fun and exciting ways to engage you into our school. Without the support of our parents and community, we cannot thrive. Together we are strong!
As stated last week we will have summer library hours (see right)! Ms. Wilkinson and some of the Northwest staff will be here to check out books, read with students, and support them with their AR goals. We hope this additional time will allow our students to keep reading over the summer. Remember, if students are not reading every day they may lose up to a year and a half worth of reading growth! We are here to help!
Again, thank you all for everything. I am honored to have served each and every student this year at Northwest and look forward to doing the same next year.
- 4th Grade: Monday, June 4 from 8:15-9 a.m.
- Pre-k and Pegasus: Monday, June 4 from 1
- 5th Grade Graduation: Tuesday, June 5 from 8:15-9 a.m.
- 3rd Grade: Tuesday, June 4 from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Kinder: Tuesday, June 4 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Campus Academic Advisory Council Meeting
- Our final CAAC meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 5 from 3:15-4:00
End of Year Parties
- Tuesday, June 4 from 1:30-2:30
Last Day of School (Half day)
- Wednesday, June 6
- Early Dismissal: noon
Summer Baseball/Football Camps
Northwest Elementary Update: May 28-June 1Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 5/29/2018 7:00:00 AM
Good morning Northwest families and parents.
It’s Field Day today! We hope to see many of you at this wonderful event today. It will be hot so plan accordingly!
We have officially announced summer library times for you and your child to come read this summer. As I’ve stated before, many of our students experience the “summer slide” and lose up to a half of a year worth of reading growth.
Reading to your child or having them read at least 30 minutes each day will either prevent the “summer slide” or even improve their reading ability. I cannot state how important this enough.
During our summer hours, students may check out books, take Accelerated Reader quizzes, or read with staff members that will be volunteering their time. I have attached the flyer to this email for dates and times.
In addition, you may sign up for reminders by visiting out Facebook page. Our plan is to also pass out flyers at each of our 11 apartment complexes. If you can support with this, please let me know.
Get Kids Moving This Summer
Here is a great resource to share with parents this summer! There are links to educational sites as well as sites to get kids up and moving!
PfISD Is Hiring!
- Join Our Team - We’re Hiring!
- Custodial Department Now Hiring, Apply Today Online
- Unete a nuestro equipe¡Estamos contratando!
- El departamento de limpieza está ocupando empleados aplicar hoy en línea
Yearbooks Final Sale
We have about 14 yearbooks left. They are on sale for $20.
Summer Reading Initiative
See the schedule for our summer library times!
Northwest Elementary School Update: May 21-25Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 5/21/2018 10:00:00 AM
Northwest Parents and Families,
I hope you all are having a wonderful week so far.
All of our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students completed the final round of the STAAR test this week. While there were some minor issues with the online exams (for those taking the STAAR online), our students were provided a great testing environment throughout each day. Thank you ALL for ensuring your child was here on time, received plenty of rest, and were mentally prepared. Your cooperation was certainly noted and appreciated.
Now that testing is completed we will be turning our attention to the summer. Summer vacation allows everyone time to relax, spend time with family/friends, and take a break from the rigorous schedule that school brings.
Each summer, however, many of our students lose up to a half of a year worth of reading growth. We call this the “Summer Slide” and it can take up to a half year to regain these reading abilities. To support, we will be offering summer library check out hours (Tues./Thurs.) from 5-7 p.m. for families to come and check out books, read with some of our staff, or access our online platform Lexia. More information will be sent home soon.
In addition, in order to prevent the Summer Slide, take at least 30 minutes each day to read with your child or have him/her read to themselves. If we can maintain our reading abilities over the summer, our students will continue to make significant progress!
PTO Meeting/1st Grade Music Program
- Tuesday, May 22
- 1st Grade Music Program: 6-6:30 in the cafeteria
- PTO Meeting: 6:30-7:30 in the library
- Friday, May 25
- Kinder, 1st, and 2nd Grade: 8:30-10:30 (corrected: Pre-K will not participate; had theirs in the fall)
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade: noon-2:15
Please make sure your son/daughter has sun protection and water for this event.
If you are interested in supporting this event, please communicate with Coach T. at Gregory.Thielke@pfisd.net
Memorial Day Holiday (No School)
- Monday, May 28
Northwest Elementary Update: May 7-14Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 5/11/2018 7:00:00 AM
Northwest Elementary parents and families,
Thank you all so much for the Teacher Appreciation gifts, goodies, and thank you cards throughout this week. You all made us all feel VERY special. Check out our Northwest Elementary Facebook page for photos.
Over the past few weeks I’ve given campus presentations to many families interested in our school. As you know, charter schools are now competing for our students and we are doing whatever it takes to show our community the MANY wonderful things about Northwest. Next week, I will be receiving 50 yard signs that say “PfISD-Your REAL choice for Public School” to support public education. If you would like to proudly display one of these signs in your yard or apartment, please send me an email.
Lastly, we will have our final round of STAAR testing next week (see below for specifics). Please note we will be a closed campus (no visitors) Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I apologize for any inconvenience.
- Monday, May 14: 3rd/4th Grade Math and 5th Grade Math Re-Test
- Tuesday, May 15: 3rd/4th Grade Reading and 5th Grade Reading Re-Test
- Wednesday, May 16: 5th Grade Science
If you have a student taking one of these exams, please make sure he or she gets plenty of rest and is at school no later than 7:20 (if at all possible).
- After school tutoring has officially ended for the year.
- All students need to be picked up no later than 2:50.
Walking Field Trips
- Kindergarten will walk to the Wells Branch Park on Tuesday, May 15
- 3rd Grade will walk to the Wells Branch Park on Friday, May 18
Northwest Elementary Update: May 7-11Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 5/7/2018
Good afternoon Northwest Parents and Families! I hope your week is going well.
Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week at Northwest! This is your time to show your child’s teacher how much you care. What’s the best gift for your teacher? A hand written message letting them know how much you appreciate their service to our students. Taking the time to say thank you means the WORLD to our teachers. Please take a moment to write a few positive words for our teachers as they have all been working incredibly hard this year.
Speaking of Teacher Appreciation Week, we will have the following celebrations each day:
- Monday - Ice cream sundaes after school
- Tuesday - Breakfast tacos from Taco Cabana
- Wednesday - Baked potato bar
- Thursday - Lunch provided by PTO
- Friday - Candy bar
- Thank you to all the parents that attended the our spring fling at Mount Playmore! We made over $1,000 at this event!
- All proceeds will go directly to our school!
- Wednesday, May 9 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- I will personally meet with each parent to answer questions, discuss the importance of school attendance, and inform of next year’s schedule.
- Please see the attached flyer (Español) for more information.
Citizen of the Month
- Friday, May 11 from 7:20-7:40
Northwest Update: April 30-May 4Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 4/30/2018 11:00:00 AM
Northwest Parents and Families,
We will be hosting our Spring Fling at Mount Playmore this evening from 3-7 p.m. Thirty-five percent of the proceeds will go directly to Northwest Elementary. Be sure to tell them you are with Northwest! I will be there with my family, so join us for an evening of fun!
Northwest Field Day is Coming
Date: Friday, May 25
Kinder, first, and second Grade: 8:45-10:45
3rd, 4th, 5th: noon to 2:30 p.m.
Coach is also looking for about 15-18 helpers. Please contact our office at 512-594-4400 for more information.
Thursday, May 3 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Education Go Get-it Week
All Week April 30-May 4
Wear college shirts or school shirts all week with jeans! Encourage your students to wear school shirts and college shirts if they have them.
We will also be having fun college related activities throughout the week in each classroom.
Northwest Update: April 23-27Posted by Marcial Guajardo on 4/23/2018
Good afternoon Northwest Elementary Parents and Families!
Our first annual multicultural day was a success! Thank you to all the parents and families that supported this event. Our students spent the entire week learning about their assigned country and then used the multicultural day to learn about the other respresented countries. About 30 countries were represented. Check out our photos at our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/
Mount Playmore Spring Fling
- Come join us at Mount Playmore on Friday, April 27 from 3-7 p.m.
- The Northwest teachers will be in attendance to have fun with everyone!
- See flyer for more information.
- NOTE: Parents are required to be present
- Please see the following website for what was discussed at our last CFAC meeting on Tuesday, April 17, 2018.
Clever Usage for Home
- Last week I updated you all on how to access both Dreambox and Lexia at home.
- You can also access the many more PfISD resources using Clever. Please see the attached document (Spanish) for directions.
Lost Jackets and Items
- If your student is missing a jacket please make all efforts to claim them by May 1.
- All jackets not claimed by May 1 will be donated.