The Gifted and Talented Program supports the mission of PFISD to provide a quality education with a commitment to excellence by facilitating learning in a safe and nurturing environment. The mission of Pflugerville ISD’s Gifted and Talented Program is to identify potentially high academic students and provide them with opportunities that promote:
- Academic rigor, depth, and breadth
- College preparation
- Independent Research
- Social and emotional development to nurture full development of academic potential
“Gifted and talented student” means a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment and who:
(1) exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area;
(2) possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or
(3) excels in a specific academic field.
Pflugerville ISD offers GT services to students in kindergarten through grade 12. These students are identified as possessing general characteristics of an advanced academics student. Students shall also be identified according to their specific subject matter aptitude. An “advanced academic gifted student” shall be defined as a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age and environment (ethnicity, language and/or socio-economic status) by:
· Exhibiting high verbal, nonverbal, or spatial intellectual ability.
· Exhibiting many identified gifted characteristics.
· Excelling in one or more specific academic fields (with designated content area of focus).