COVID banner

    Grading Guidelines & FAQs


    The COVID-19 Situation is fluid. We may need to make adjustments along the way. Please check back for updates.

    How will teachers determine mastery for the 4th 9 weeks and semester grades?

    Mastery shall be defined as demonstrating at least 70% mastery of the standard(s). Mastery for students with a disability shall be determined by the student's admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) committee and documented in the student’s individualized education program (IEP).

    If my student had a failing grade for the Fall semester or 3rd 9 weeks, will they still have the opportunity to pass for the semester or year?

    Yes, students still have the opportunity to pass for the semester or year. 

    How can I keep track of my child’s remote learning  progress/grades?

    Grades must be posted in the Skyward Gradebook each Friday by 5:00 PM. This will ensure that students and parents receive appropriate feedback and have access to timely and accurate information. K-1 teachers will communicate grades/progress using their normal reporting rubrics and platforms. As always, we encourage parents to contact their student’s teacher directly for student updates, support, or concerns.

    Will my K-8 student be promoted to the next grade?

    In order to be promoted to next grade,a student must demonstrate:

    1. Mastery of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) in the four core areas: language arts/Spanish language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies;
    2. Compliance with the attendance policy [see FEC; only attendance prior to extended school closure should be considered) 
    3. For K-1, campus should also consider developmental readiness

    Will my 9-12 grade student earn credit for his/her high school classes?

    Yes, as long as they earn a passing grade for the semester/year and have complied with attendance policies (only attendance prior to extended school closure should be considered).  This includes students in middle school taking high school level courses as well.

    Will my child be retained in their current grade level if they do not complete the remote learning activities provided by the teacher or in the paper-based learning packets?

    If a student is unable to meet course requirements (earns an (I) Incomplete) and/or grade-level promotion standards, the campus will notify parents/guardian of the student's incomplete and provide an accelerated instruction plan; the time, date, and type of accelerated instruction to be provided; and information about the student’s possible denial of credit and/or retention. 

    If the student fails to meet the criteria outlined in the accelerated instruction plan and there is not an unanimous decision that the student is likely to perform on grade level the next school year, the student shall be retained and/or credit withheld.

    What grades will be used to calculate GPA and Class Rank for HS students?

    With classes moving to remote methods of instruction due to the COVID-19 closure, we recognize that there may be concerns about how this change in delivery might impact a students GPA and Class Rank. Therefore, the final grades a student earned for the Fall 2019 semester will be used to calculate GPA for HS students. Spring semester grades will not count in the calculation of the grade point average and will neither raise a student’s GPA, nor lower it. The same calculation guidelines apply to  6th, 7th, or 8th middle school students enrolled in high school courses (Algebra I, Geometry, Spanish, Health, etc.).

    What is the district doing to address achievement gaps that may develop during this closure?

    The district is exploring remote and in-person summer learning opportunities to help students bridge achievement gaps that may have developed as a result of the COVID-19 school closures. Our goal is to have a plan rolled out the 1st or 2nd week of May.

    I have questions about my student’s grade. Who should I contact?

    Contact your student’s teacher first. If you are unable to resolve your questions, please contact your campus Assistant principal or Principal.