- Pflugerville Independent School District
- Multilingual Instruction
How to apply
Thank you for your interest in the 2021-22 PfISD Dual Language Program.
Applications for incoming Kindergarten students will open from Thursday, March 11 to Friday, March 26, 2021.
Please note that this is only for incoming kindergartners. Students currently in the PfISD DL Program do not need to re-apply.
How do I apply?
- GET INFORMED: Read the PfISD DL Program information provided above.
- APPLY: Applications will only be accepted online on the specific dates mentioned above. In order for your application to be considered, you must have completed and submitted the online application by Friday, March 26th at 5 p.m.
- ATTEND: Due to COVID-19 and State Ordinance Guidelines the Two-Way DL Program Parent Meetings will be held virtually. Please plan on attending one of the meetings listed below:
Applications for incoming kinder students for the 2021-22 school year will be available online from 8 a.m. on Thursday, March 11 to 5 p.m. on Friday, March 26, 2021. Please consider the following for the application process:
- The student’s birthday must fall between Sept. 2, 2015-Sept. 1, 2016
- Students must live within the PfISD boundaries.
- In order for the application to be considered, a parent/guardian must have completed and submitted the online application by Friday, March 26th at 5 p.m.
- Only one application must be filled out per incoming kindergarten student
- Any communication regarding the results of the lottery process will be sent via the preferred email address provided on the application by March 31, 2021.
Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Selection Process: The program is open to incoming English-proficient new kindergarten students who reside within the PfISD boundaries. Students do not need to be zoned to any of the participating campuses. If the number of applicants exceeds the available space at the designated DL campus, a lottery process will take place. Upon completion of the lottery process, our department will contact all applicants with the results. Please note that completion of the application does not guarantee placement into the PfISD DL Program.
Siblings: Siblings of Spanish Learners (not English Learners) currently enrolled in the PfISD DL program have priority. Please note that entry is not automatic; you MUST complete an online application in order to guarantee a space and avoid the lottery process.
Transportation: PfISD does not provide transportation for Spanish Learners participating in the program.
Dual Language Program Goals
- To promote and develop biliteracy and bilingualism in Spanish and English for emergent English learners and all other students participating in the PfISD Dual Language Immersion Program.
- To facilitate student high academic achievement in all content areas in Spanish and English. Specifically, students will be on grade level in reading in their first language while simultaneously growing their abilities to speak, listen, read, and write in their partner language.
- To meet the affective needs of the students by developing biculturalism through partnerships with students, families, teachers, and administrators to create an inclusive environment with equitable practices for all members of the PfISD community regardless of linguistic or cultural background.
Curriculum and Assessment
- Two-Way Instructional Framework:
Students participating in the 2-Way DL program follow an instructional framework that fosters biliteracy1.
- Support for Reading:
If the campus instructional support team identifies a need for your child to receive additional reading support, it is customary for students to receive this reading intervention in their native language.
- District Assessments:
Throughout the year, instruction and assessments take place in both languages in order to measure students’ progress towards biliteracy.
- STAAR Assessment:
Students begin to take state assessments once they reach third grade. The Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) makes STAAR language testing decisions.