Related Services 

    Related services are support services determined to be necessary to assist students with disabilities to benefit from special education. If the need for a related service is suspected, an evaluation must be planned in an ARD meeting.

    Assistive Technology Services 
    Any service that directly assists a child with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. For more information about assistive technology, please contact your child's school.

    Audiology Services
    These services include:

    • Identification of children with hearing loss;
      Determination of the range, nature, and degree of hearing loss, including referral for medical or other professional attention for the habilitation of hearing;
    • Provision of habilitative activities, such as language habilitation, auditory training, speech reading (lip-reading), hearing evaluation, and speech conservation;
    • Creation and administration of programs for prevention of hearing loss;
    • Counseling and guidance of children, parents, and teachers regarding hearing loss; and
    • Determination of children’s needs for group and individual amplification, selecting and fitting an appropriate aid, and evaluating the effectiveness of amplification.

    For more information about audiology services, please contact your child's school.

    Interpreting Services
    Oral transliteration services, cued language transliteration services, sign language transliteration and interpreting services, and transcription services, and special interpreting services for children who are deafblind. 

    Medical Services 
    Services provided by a licensed physician to determine a child’s medically related disability that results in the child’s need for special education and related services. For more information about medical services, please contact your child's school nurse.

    Occupational & Physical Therapy
    Occupational therapy refers to services provided by a licensed occupational therapist or certified occupational therapy assistant. Physical therapy refers to services provided by a licensed physical therapist or physical therapy assistant. The goal of educationally relevant therapy is to minimize the effects of the student's disability on his or her ability to participate in the educational process and to facilitate independent functioning at school.

    Counseling Services
    Services provided by licensed social workers, psychologists, guidance counselors, or other qualified personnel. Please contact your child's school counselor for more information.

    Orientation and Mobility Services
    Services provided to blind or visually impaired children by qualified personnel to enable those students to attain systematic orientation to and safe movement within their environments in school, home, and community. 

    Parent Counseling and Training
    Includes the following:

    • Assisting parents in understanding the special needs of their child;
    • Providing parents with information about child development;
    • Helping parents acquire the necessary skills to support the implementation of their child’s IEP or IFSP.

    Psychological Services
    Services include the following:

    • Administering psychological and educational tests, and other assessment procedures;
    • Interpreting assessment results;
    • Obtaining, integrating, and interpreting information about child behavior and conditions relating to learning;
    • Consulting with other staff members in planning school programs to meet the special educational needs of children as indicated by psychological tests, interviews, direct observation, and behavioral evaluations;
    • Planning and managing a program of psychological services, including psychological counseling for children and parents;
    • Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.

    Includes assessment of leisure function, therapeutic recreation services, recreation programs in schools and community agencies, and leisure education.

    Rehabilitation Counseling 
    Means services provided by qualified personnel in individual or group sessions that focus specifically on career development, employment preparation, achieving independence, and integration in the workplace and community of a student with a disability. The term also includes vocational rehabilitation services provided to a student with a disability by vocational rehabilitation programs

    School Health Services and School Nurse Services

    Means health services that are designed to enable a child with a disability to receive a free and appropriate public education, as described in the child’s IEP. School nurse services are those services provided by a qualified school nurse. School health services are services that may be provided by either a qualified school nurse or other qualified person. For more information about health services, please contact your child's school nurse

    Social Work Services in Schools
    Preparing a social or developmental history on a child with a disability, group and individual counseling with the child and family, working in partnership with parents and others on those problems in a child’s living situation (home, school, and community) that affect the child’s adjustment in school, mobilizing school and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program; and assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies. 
    For more information about social work services in schools, please contact your child's campus social worker.

    Travel to and from school and between schools, travel in and around school buildings; and specialized equipment (such as special or adapted buses, lifts, and ramps), if required to provide special transportation for a child with a disability. Contact your student’s teacher or campus administrator to initiate a new transportation request.


    For more information:

    Deborah Reeder,

    Director of Special Education



    Pflugerville ISD Special Education Department 
    1401 W. Pecan Street
    Pflugerville, TX 78660
    Phone: 512-594-0160
    Fax: 512-594-0161
    Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM