Hispanic Heritage Month
Pflugerville ISD joins the nation in celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 - October 15 and throughout our school year. Hispanic Heritage Month is a time for us to celebrate and recognize the cultures, achievements and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.
The observation began in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988.
Why is Hispanic Heritage Month celebrated from September 15 - October 15? The day of September 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September18, respectively. Also, Columbus Day or Día de la Raza, which is October 12, falls within this 30 day period.
You can see the influence these cultures have had on our area and our everyday lives as these members of our community carry a little of their heritage with them through the generations.
This is a special time to recognize and honor some of the members of the Hispanic community who have helped shape our country and provide inspiration for our Hispanic students, who make up more than 48% of our student body. Representation matters and seeing someone like you succeed in chasing their dreams of making a difference can be just the spark a young mind needs to put themselves on a path toward achieving their dreams.
2023 Hispanic Heritage Month Campus Activities
More events/activities will be added soon!
- Barron ES - (Sept. 15) Hispanic Heritage Kickoff Parade at 8 a.m.
- Brookhollow ES - (Oct. 27) Ballet Folklorico Performance by HPES at the POPS rally
- Highland Park ES - (Oct. 2) Ballet Folkorico Performance at 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Mott ES - (Oct.13) Recognition at Morning Assembly and includes Notable Hispanic Americans in Morning Announcements
- Riojas ES - Hispanic Heritage highlights and trivia during morning announcements all month. Bulletin Board Contest, ending the first week of October. PTO will host a pizza party for the three best boards.
- Pflugerville MS - (Oct. 13) Hispanic Heritage Showcase at Pep Rally from 8:45 a.m. Additionally, the campus will host the following events: Hispanic Heritage Dress Up Day, Conchas Con Cafe, Hispanic Heritage Advisory Lessons, Door Decorating Contest - Calendar of Events
- Hendrickson HS - Daily announcements by Latino Student Union (LSU), Latin beats during Talon Enrichment/Academic days, Hispanic Heritage Spirit Days 9/25-9/29, and HOCO Spirit Day/Lunch featuring Latino Austin native DJ Abe the Ambassador
- Weiss HS - Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Display in the Library all month and include Notable Hispanic Americans in Morning Announcements