Frequently Asked Questions
1. What time does the school day start and end? School starts at 7:35 am and students will be considered tardy if not in their classrooms at that time. School ends at 2:50 pm.
2. How does being tardy affect my child? When a student enters class after the teacher has begun instruction, he/she misses out on instruction. Excessive tardies will lead to our attendance specialists conducting home visits and possibly filing for Attendance Court to cite the parent(s).
3. How can I contact my child's teacher? You can email any staff member by clicking on their name in the staff section of our webpage. Additionally, you can call 594-4000 and navigate to the teacher's voicemail.
4. What should I do if my child misses school because of illness? When the student returns to school, provide a doctor's note to the registrar, Rochelle Castro, in the office that morning so that the absence is coded correctly. You may also email notes to her at email@example.com. Absences due to illness without a doctor's note are coded as unexcused.
5. Can I eat lunch with my child? Yes, provided you sign in the front office first and get a visitor's pass. Parents must eat with their children in the tables provided inside the cafeteria. Students may NOT invite a friend to sit with them. Exceptions to this include days of STAAR testing in the spring.
6. Can I bring cupcakes/food to celebrate my child's birthday? You may not bring snacks on their birthday, but the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month, we can celebrate birthdays with cupcakes or any other pre-packaged treats. To avoid disruption of instruction, we will not allow delivery of balloons, flowers, or gifts to the classrooms.
7. What type of shoes does my child need for PE? Students need to have closed-toe shoes (sneakers or tennis shoes) to participate in PE. This is a requirement of the PISD Student Dress Code.
8. Who do I contact if I have questions about transportation? The PISD transportation number is 594-0475.
9. How can I volunteer? Volunteers must go through the PISD Volunteer Background Check process at least 2 weeks prior to volunteering. Previous volunteers must reapply each fall. To do this, you must enroll using a computer with internet access. Visit the district page here to apply. Hurry! We love volunteers!
10. How can I receive the latest school information? Please check the school website or Facebook page for the latest updates.