• How to Address Parent and Staff Concerns

    The Board of Trustees for the Pflugerville Independent School District has adopted specific grievance procedures for employees, parents, and community members to follow when they are not able to resolve disagreements.

    The Board encourages employees, parents, and community members to discuss their concerns and complaints through informal conferences with the appropriate teacher, principal, or appropriate administrator.  Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible to allow early resolution at the lowest possible administrative level.  Informal resolution is encouraged but does not extend any deadlines in the formal grievance policies.

    The District's grievance process is described in the grievances policies: DGBA (LOCAL), FNG (LOCAL), and GF (LOCAL).
    Employee Grievance - DGBA (LOCAL)
    Public Grievance - GF (LOCAL)
    Formal grievances by employees should be submitted to the Chief Human Resources Officer.  Formal grievances by student, parents, or the community members should be submitted to the Coordinator of Student Affairs.
    Appropriate grievance forms for students, parent, or community members may be obtained by contacting Coordinator of Student Affairs Tere Ralston or stopping by the front desk of the administration building.  Appropriate grievance forms for employees may be found above, in the appendix of the Employee Handbook, and from the front desk of the administration building.  

    Mailing Address:
    1401 W Pecan St
    Pflugerville, TX 78660
    Fax Number:  (512) 594-0024
    For questions or more information about the grievance process,
    employees contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at (512) 594-0017, 
    parents and community members contact the Coordinator of Student Affairs at (512) 594-0038