Updated: May 13, 2021
Hendrickson and Pflugerville high school band students have qualified for the 2021 UIL Texas State Solo-Ensemble Contest, taking place online May 22-31.
Fourteen Hendrickson band students earned Division 1 ratings to advance to the state competition. They are:
- Erin Blair (flute)
- Hoang-Nghi Nguyen (oboe)
- Alaina Parent (bass clarinet)
- Guillermo O’Scier (cornet/trumpet)
- Nathan Pound (trombone)
- Bryan Ross (trombone)
- Robert Cook (euphonium/baritone horn)
- Hunter Kenyon (tuba)
- Edward Afenkhena, Carter Anderson, Carter Rashaad, Olivia Cruz, Antonio Gamez, Samuel Nunez, Nathan Pound, Bryan Ross (trombone choir)
James Hairston heads the Hendrickson High School Band.
Nine Pflugerville High School band students qualified for the state solo and ensemble contest, having earned Division 1 ratings at a regional event. PHS students who qualified are:
- Kyndahl Britton (flute)
- Hannah Raymond (Bb clarinet)
- Matthew Gutierrez (cornet/trumpet)
- Bailey Akin-Jimenez (French horn)
- Arden Wernecke (French horn)
- Jackson Hawk (trombone)
- Dylan Le (trombone)
- Caleb Wolf (tuba)
- Katy Herber (twirling)
O.D. Wilson heads the Pflugerville High School Band.
Willy Mason of Hendrickson High School and Dylan Le of Pflugerville High School were named Outstanding Performers at the 2019 state solo and ensemble event. Last year's event was cancelled.
Feb. 12, 2021
Eleven Pflugerville ISD band students, representing each of the district’s four high schools, are on the Texas Music Educators Association All-State Band.
The district’s newest high school, Weiss, landed four performers on the Class 5A All-State Band, including tenor trombonist Shonn Olegario, who qualified for All-State each of his four years at Weiss. He was joined by sophomore Kamryn Moore (oboe), and juniors Chase Cano (Bb clarinet) and Ezven Gonzalez (contra-bass).
Pflugerville High School also had four students make All-State, including flautist Kyndahl Britton, who qualified last year as well. Also representing PHS on the 6A All-State Band were seniors Dylan Le (tenor trombone), Noah Mangum (bassoon) and Hannah Raymond (Bb clarinet).
Hendrickson High School was represented on the Class 5A All-State Band by junior Jake Dossing (tuba) and sophomore Alaina Parent (bass clarinet).
Connally senior Giovanni Albarracin was the lone tenor saxophonist from PfISD to make All-State.
Each fall, over 70,000 Texas high school students begin the All-State audition process. Area auditions took place Jan. 9.
More than 1,800 are ultimately selected to rehearse and perform during the annual TMEA Clinic/Convention in one of 18 Texas All-State ensembles, including several All-State ensembles sponsored by the TMEA Band Division.
This year, the 2021 TMEA Clinic/Convention will be hosted Feb. 11-13 as a virtual event. It will not include student performances.
Representing Pflugerville ISD on TMEA All-State Band ensembles:
5A All-State Band
- Kamryn Moore, WHS, 10th Grade, Oboe
- Chase Cano, WHS, 11th Grade, Bb Clarinet
- Alaina Parent, HHS, 10th Grade, Bass Clarinet
- Ezven Gonzalez, WHS, 11th Grade, Contra-Bass
- Giovanni Albarracin, CHS, 12th Grade, Tenor Saxophone
- Jake Dossing, HHS, 11th Grade, Tuba
6A All-State Band
- Kyndahl Britton, PHS, 12th Grade, Flute
- Hannah Raymond, PHS, 12th Grade, Bb Clarinet
- Noah Mangum, PHS, 12th Grade, Bassoon
- Dylan Le, PHS, 12th Grade, Tenor Trombone
All-State Jazz Ensemble
- Shonn Olegario, WHS, 12th Grade, Tenor Trombone