- Pflugerville High School
- Principal's Blog 2021-22
Posted by Heike Cook on 4/8/2022
Just a reminder that ACE will begin again next week and run through May 10th, 2022 (the next round of STAAR testing). Please help ensure your kiddo is at school and in class by 9:00 and receives the support and intervention we have planned for them.
Track & Field Championships!
Please join us on Tuesday (prelims) and Wednesday (finals) next week at Weiss High School for our final Track Meet. Times and events are listed below:
A Word from the Library:
A Word from Technology
At the end of the school year, all Seniors are expected to return their District issued Chromebooks and chargers. Underclassmen can continue to use their Chromebooks over the summer unless the family chooses to return the device and receive another one in August. If students will be withdrawing from the District, they will also need to return their Chromebooks and Chargers.
- The returned Chromebook must match the barcode of the Chromebook issued to the student. Devices often get switched by siblings and friends. Students can pre-check their device by visiting Laura Owen in the library. The replacement cost for a lost device is $275.
- New Chargers can be purchased from the District for $10. To order one, visit the Technology Webstore (under the parent tab) and type “Website” in the Help Desk Work Ticket box.
- A New Tech FAQ site has been created to help parents and students troubleshoot common Chromebook issues. It can be found under the District website’s Parent tab at https://sites.google.com/pfisd.net/cbtechsupport/home .
A Word from our Social Studies Department
Spring is here, …. So is testing! As we tumble towards the end of the year AP tests are coming!
We give more Social Studies AP exams at PHS than any other department so want to encourage our students to begin preparing for them. Your students have access to AP review videos from the College Board at this link: https://www.youtube.com/user/advancedplacement
There are videos for every subject, not just Social Studies. Beginning on April 18th there will be new daily review videos. It is never too early to start reviewing. These tests if passed will give your student college credit. Basically, studying for these tests is the equivalent to filling out a scholarship application; the better the application the more likely you will get the scholarship and vice-versa. Please check with your student for information about reviews we are offering on campus as well.
Here is the calendar for Social Studies AP Exams:
- Monday May 2 - U.S. Government and Politics (Seniors)
- Tuesday May 3- Psychology (Juniors and Seniors)
- Thursday May 5- Human Geography (Freshmen) and Macroeconomics (Seniors)
- Friday May 6- U.S. History (Juniors)
- Thursday May 12- World History (Sophomores)
For a calendar of all AP exams click here: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/exam-administration-ordering-scores/exam-dates
Karen Hense, Social Studies Department Chair
From the Fine Arts Department
Calling all Kindergarten through 8th graders! The Lady Panthers Dance Team will be hosting a Spring Kid's Clinic on Wednesday, April 20th in the PHS Main Gym. All participants will be invited to perform at our Spring Show on Friday, April 29th. Scan the QR code to register today!
Adriana Cortez, Lady Panthers Dance Team Coach
A Word from the College and Career Counselor:
Senior Poster – Sign Up Now!
If you are interested in receiving a senior poster at the end of the year, please make sure to fill out this Google Form. The senior posters are available regardless of your path after high school (College/Career/Trade School/Military) and you do not need to know exactly what your plan is yet to complete this form. We will be displaying these posters in PHS and giving you a copy during Diploma Pick Up. If you would like to see what they look like, you will see them posted in many hallways around the school.
Once you complete the form, Mr. Howell will email you within the month of April with a date and time for your picture. Your picture will be taken at school and we encourage you to wear clothing that depicts your next plan.
We highly encourage each member of the Class of 2022 to participate in this PHS Tradition.
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.
Nick Howell, College and Career Advisor
College Applicant Night:
Please mark your calendar for our College Application Night presentation on April 26th, 2022. The event will begin at 6:30 pm in the Pflugerville High School Cafeteria and conclude around 8:00 pm. Mr. Howell (and college representative guests) will discuss the following topics:
- College Application Tips & Tricks (Application Types, Deadlines, When To Begin, etc.)
- Automatic Admission
- Holistic Review (Essays, Resumes, Letters of Recommendation, Scholarships)
- And ALL aspects of the College Application Process.
If you are interested in attending, please visit this Google Form to register.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Career Opportunity for Seniors:
Parents of seniors,
On Friday, April 22, we will have representatives from construction trade unions presenting a workshop on their apprenticeship programs. This is a great opportunity for students to start on a career where they can get paid to learn on the job
Your student can scan the QR code below to register. (PS – This is a great field for women, too, so encourage your daughter to attend if she’s interested in a career in construction.)
Pflugerville High School
“Keep improving, always, in all ways.”